[Lilug Planning] possible meeting topic - openshift

Jesse Farinacci jieryn at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 09:47:42 PST 2012

Greetings,

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 7:13 PM, ~ ~ <hydratek at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is this something that would mostly used for continuous integration and is
> it useful for non-Java software (or is java merely the server environment)?

I'm not an expert, but I have read a lot of the materials. I also deployed
a sample application, just to try it out. That in mind, my answer:

It is useful for Java and non-Java software, most of the tutorials I find
deal with Python, Ruby on Rails, PHP, and MongoDB. OpenShift itself appears
to be highly modular, but it is clear that Java EE 6 (the latest standard),
via JBoss (also owned by RedHat), is at the core of its DNA.

I think it may be best to consider OpenShift, in the cloud ecosystem
hierarchy, to be above EC2 but below GAE. In that, with EC2 you manage,
soup to nuts, the entire environment. With GAE, you get a restricted Java
EE environment, where you are forced to use their platform specific
(non-standardized) database, load balancer, etc etc. With OpenShift, you
control various modular components that you want to make available for your
application. Be that Java EE (!!), Perl, Python, Ruby, MySQL, MongoDB, etc.

And that it uses git under the covers to manage the application is just
plain cool. :-) Maybe they would be interested in presenting some of the
underlying architecture in addition to the more cookie cutter walk-throughs
about how to exploit the service. I'll contact the RedHat OpenShift ninjas
to find out if they would be interested to come up to the NY area..

-Jesse