[Lilug Planning] possible meeting topic - openshift

Mark Drago markdrago at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 10:11:07 PST 2012

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 12:47, Jesse Farinacci <jieryn at gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>

> On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 7:13 PM, ~ ~ <hydratek at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Is this something that would mostly used for continuous integration and is
>> it useful for non-Java software (or is java merely the server environment)?
>
> I think it may be best to consider OpenShift, in the cloud ecosystem
> hierarchy, to be above EC2 but below GAE. In that, with EC2 you manage, soup
> to nuts, the entire environment. With GAE, you get a restricted Java EE
> environment, where you are forced to use their platform specific
> (non-standardized) database, load balancer, etc etc. With OpenShift, you
> control various modular components that you want to make available for your
> application. Be that Java EE (!!), Perl, Python, Ruby, MySQL, MongoDB, etc.
>
> And that it uses git under the covers to manage the application is just
> plain cool. :-)
>
> -Jesse

I agree with you Jesse.  It seems like they're deciding to compete
with heroku directly (http://www.heroku.com/).  FWIW heroku has been
around a lot longer, seems to have support for more things, and also
does deployments with git.  With that said, it would probably be cool
to have them come up and talk about it.

Mark.