[Lilug] optonline router

Rocco Laudadio testing1567 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 08:20:31 PDT 2015

I've dealt with these routers before. They are 100% operated by
Cablevision. You have no actual access to it. You log into your Optimum
account on their website and adjust the settings from their servers. I
would never trust one of these personally.

As far as the public WiFi hotspot, from what I've read about it, they
actually do a good job keeping that separate from your private network. It
gives your personal ip bandwidth priority and will throttle the public WiFi
if it has to to keep your data unaffected.  It even blacklists the mac
address of any device that connects to your personal wifi so that you can't
accidentally connection to the throttled public one. Cablevision is being
sued over it right now, but they did such a good job separating the systems
that the only thing they might be able to get them on is the extra
electricity draw.
My wife called cablevision to complain that her computer was slow and
they told her that the reason is our 5 year old cable modem and router
(and not the windows malware). They were very eager to send us a free
new modem and router. I installed it and needed some help from tech
support. It made me realize that they have total control over the router
and knew which devices were connected to it. If they can log into the
router, who else can?
I also noticed that there is now a optimumwifi hotspot near my house. Is
that my router providing it? There was just a story on slashdot about
some UK ISP doing that.