[Lilug Planning] Dec 13th meeting topic(s)

Matt Surico surico at mail.buoy.com
Tue Nov 29 13:24:48 PST 2011

On 11/29/2011 03:59 PM, Jesse Farinacci wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 10:02 AM, Matt Surico<surico at mail.buoy.com>  wrote:
>> I am going to post the names of all the
>> people running for office on the wiki in the meeting announcement (even if
>> it's only just the incumbents!) along with the meeting topic.
> This doesn't seem right. Shouldn't it be announced that elections are
> coming up and if you want to run for a particular office, then you
> must submit your name and optional abstract/statement?
>
> By restricting this to the planning list we're not going to get anyone
> but the incumbents, if that.

The procedure which we've followed since LILUG's inception is that there
is a call for nominations in November, and at the Nov meeting, people
are nominated.

The election happens in December.

We "goofed" by not announcing that we were taking nominations in
November, but we've also been lulled into the situation that every year
we rarely get any nominations other than the incumbents.

> Maybe I have misunderstood the calendar. I am reading this as that the
> elections will be held at the next meeting. If this isn't the case, I
> think at most we should announce are the general positions which
> people can run for. Then say there is a deadline of a week or two to
> submit a candidacy.
>
> Either way, I think it is not a good idea to announce particular
> candidates before everyone has had a chance to consider whether they
> want to participate.

So, right, you've misunderstood the calendar :-)

And all the people whose names will be on the announcement for the
meeting have already been nominated at the November meeting.

>> So hopefully we can get the word out via web and email early for this
>> meeting coming up, and as a general rule of thumb going forward :-)
> I'm all for this!! Frankly, I was more than a little bummed out that I
> forgot about the last meeting and didn't see a single word about it
> beforehand.

Agreed - we're all going to do our part to ensure we have things planned
and definitely announced ahead of time!

Thanks
Matt S