[Lilug Planning] {Spam?} Re: Dec 13th meeting topic(s)

Matt Surico surico at mail.buoy.com
Tue Nov 29 13:53:24 PST 2011

On 11/29/2011 04:42 PM, Jesse Farinacci wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 4:24 PM, Matt Surico<surico at mail.buoy.com>  wrote:
>> The procedure which we've followed since LILUG's inception is that there is
>> a call for nominations in November, and at the Nov meeting, people are
>> nominated.
>>
>> The election happens in December.
> That's fine, but there was absolutely NO communication of this. There
> wasn't even communication that the meeting was going to happen. Since
> this was a mistake, I don't think it is reasonable to blindly follow
> the policy to the letter. We made a mistake, and we should correct it.
>
>> We "goofed" by not announcing that we were taking nominations in November,
>> but we've also been lulled into the situation that every year we rarely get
>> any nominations other than the incumbents.
> Well, I for one am not happy with how things have been run this year.
> I would have taken the opportunity to question what changes will be
> made by the people who are going to be running the organization. If I
> was unhappy with those answers, then I would nominate myself.
>
> But because of the characteristically bad communication this year I
> missed the opportunity.

We (government and planning members) probably subconsciously assumed
that since most of the people who show up at most of the meetings have
been members for over a year (many for several years) that they are
familiar with the election process.  Totally wrong assumption, of course!
>> And all the people whose names will be on the announcement for the meeting
>> have already been nominated at the November meeting.
> So there is no more avenue for discussion and nomination? Your
> original email suggested that the nominations had closed.

If the LILUG gov't feels that it's appropriate (and I'm starting to
think it is) we can put out an announcement in the next day or so that
we will take more nominations at the December meeting, and then we will
hold elections at the meeting.

The LILUG by-laws state that officers can only hold a gov't position for
12 months (but can be re-elected; still an election needs to take place
every 12 months) so we really do need to hold an election in December.

Mark and Matt N are on this planning list so I am sure they are reading
this.  Matt, Mark, Mike and I will take this offline and decide about
the nomination

Thanks very much Jesse for your input - we definitely want to get this
right.

Regards,
Matt S