[Lilug Planning] November topic: need to decide today 11/6

Chris Knadle Chris.Knadle at coredump.us
Wed Nov 6 14:38:06 PST 2013

On Wednesday, November 06, 2013 10:21:55 odinson wrote:
> Hey
>
>  	This Month:
>
>  	Agreed Matt, it's time to choose if possible.
>
>  	Sagi you can do any of those three topics you want.  I'd say
> whichever you are best prepared for at the moment.  Please let us know
> today and will put it up on the site.
>
>  	December meeting:
>
>  	I also agree with Joe that now that we have the newbies we don't
> want to let them wander off.  We need some catnip.  Lets announce a distro
> minitalk blitz (5-20 min a pop) for  December.  And call for participants.

I could briefly talk a bit about Debian and/or Arch Linux, if desired.

[As a bonus (and if there's time), I could discuss copying files files from
native Linux to/from a Linux distro in a LUKS encrypted LVM that is itself in
a VirtualBox VM on Windows.  ;-)  Insane, but yes, you can do that.]

In case anyone is unaware, Debian is the last distro using SysVinit, and
that's about to change.  The Debian project as a whole argued at length (what
else is new) about this and couldn't decide on SystemD, Upstart, or OpenRC, so
this decision is now in the hands of the tech-ctte.  They're hoping to choose
one by Christmas.

>  	2014 meeting:
>
>  	No way do I have December covered.  Not ready on the RF
> side.  Just struck me as a pretty good crossover.  Chris Knadle basically
> said yes to give it so I say we rope him in for January or February.  If
> anybody can make ham radio Linuxy, it's him.

Using CHIRP to program a rig is pretty straightforward -- much easier than
programming the rig natively is.  I think any presentation on this would be
more of a 5-minute "lightning talk" rather than a full meeting.  Last we spoke
about this, we were discussing making a YouTube video demonstration, not a
meeting.  :-)  Supposedly the new 4.3 version of VirtualBox has a feature to
make a video recording of a session, which would make this process easy.
Debain Sid is still using 4.2.16, so I'm waiting for the new version to
arrive.

   http://developers.slashdot.org/story/13/10/17/1231201/virtualbox-43-comes-with-new-multi-touch-support-virtual-cam-and-more

Other Ham Radio Linux stuff:
I'm still working on the 'svxlink' package, which contains 'qtel'.
qtel = "QT EchoLink".  EchoLink is a Windows program that allows talking to
repeaters (or individual stations) over VoIP.  There's a bit of latency, but
other than that it's awesome.  The svxlink package I have /works/ but making
it 'shipable' is the problem -- there are 14 libraries in the package (half of
which are -dev packages), so it's a beast that's too complicated, so I've been
trying to figure out how to deal with this rather than having to ship that.

The above two things are most of what I do with Ham Radio + Linux now.

  -- Chris

--
Chris Knadle
Chris.Knadle at coredump.us